I am a TPS holder, to get my Driver's License renewed which will expire in 06/24/2019 what documents do I need to present to DMV to get my DL renewed?
Okay, so here is what i have found out from my own personal online research. I hope this helps.
So far, from what i have read online, at least in a few states, the process is pretty straightforward. You just take your expiring DL, EAD and the Federal Notice of automatic extension to the DMV and they should be able to provide you with a DL with an expiration date of 03/24/2020 (which is till when the TPS is extended). States under this category would be TX, ND and OH.
Having said that, most of the times, it seems, the process is not so easy, unfortunately. I have seen people give different accounts based on various factors like if it's a Red (republican) and Blue (democratic) state, if DMV is in an urban or rural area, etc. I have also read people resorting to applying for an EAD (even though it is automatically extended) just so that they don't have to go through all the hassle that comes with this confusion (imagine the hassle).
So, what's the bottomline? What should you bring to the DMV? Following steps should be obvious and should be able to help, i think:
1. Gather your current (soon to expire) DL.
2. Gather your current (soon to expire) TPS EAD.
3. FEDERAL NOTICE of automatic extension (most important).
4. Be prepared to talk to the DMV officials. Talk to a senior officer, if the junior staff (the person at the window) is not being able to help you. Be calm and explain your situation to them.
5. There is something called SAVE created by USCIS. Your state/DMV might participate in this and might be able to honor it's results (your are in luck, if they do). Be sure to talk about this feature if they don't bring this option up first.
Probably do this like right now or today:
6. Call or visit your DMV well ahead of time and find out about what they accept and need.
Here is a link to discussion on this topic at sajha:
Thank you Doremifa for the above information. This is very helpful not only for me , but for all the TPS holders.
Just so if anyone looking at this is wondering, here is the link to check your immigration status using SAVE:
and here is the USCIS website link talking about SAVE: